How to make Wudu (Purifications before prayers)
Before praying, we must purify ourselves by ablutions (wudu) for the prayer to be valid and accepted.
Take this lesson HERE to learn when it is required to do wudu.
Watch a video of how to do wudu:
After finishing Wudu recite (Optional, but recommended sunnah):
Ash-hadu alla ilaha illallahu wahdahu la sharika lahu, Wa ash-hadu ann Muhammadan ‘abduhu wa rasuluh
(I testify that there is no god but Allah, and He is One and has no partner and I testify that Muhammad is His servant and messenger)
The Prophet pbuh said: None of you makes Wudu thoroughly washing his organs, then says: "Ashhadu An Lailaha Illa Allah Wa A'nna Muhammadan Rassoulu Allah", but the Eight Gates of Paradise open to him letting him enter through any of them he wishes. (Muslim)
What Nullifies/Invalidates Wudu?
Wudu is nullified by eight matters which are as follows:
1. Excretions of the penis, vagina or anus regardless of its quantity and kind. Allah Says “or one of you comes after answering the call of nature…” (Qur’an 4:43)
The Prophet pbuh said: "One should not leave (his prayer) unless he hears its (passing wind) sound or smells its scent" (Bukhari and Muslim).
- 2. Flowing of blood, pus, and vomit if it is large according. The Hadith reported by Imams Ahmad and Tirmidi that Prophet pbuh said: "Whoever is afflicted by vomit, nose bleed or Qals (a form of vomiting) or al-Madhi (prostatic fluid) should make Wudu" (Ibn Majah).
However, the preponderant opinion is that the above-mentioned matters in No. 2 do not break Wudu.
3. Loss of consciousness regardless whether it was due to insanity, fainting, drunkenness or deep sleep. The Prophet pbuh said: "The eye is the drawstring of the anus, so whoever sleeps should make Wudu". If the sleep is not deep (the deepness would be estimated according to the customs of a people) such as sleeping while standing or sitting, the Wudu will not be null. Anas (ra) reported that, "the companions of the Prophet pbuh were waiting for the night prayer until their heads would nod, then they get up and perform Salah without making Wudu" (Muslim).
- 4. Touching the private parts with hand without any barriers, for the Hadith that the Prophet pbuh said: "Whoever touches his private parts should perform ablution" (Ibn Majah).
- 5. Touching a woman or vice versa with sexual desire for the Saying of Allah: “…or you have been in contact with women (by sexual relations)…” (Qur’an 4:43).
The preponderant opinion is that only touching a man or a woman does not nullify one's ablution. The above verse refers to sexual intercourse, not any normal touch.
- 6. Eating camel's meat. Jabir Bin Samurah said: "A man asked the Prophet pbuh, 'should I make Wudu after eating mutton?' He replied, 'If you wish' He then asked, 'Should I make Wudu after eating camel meat?' He replied, 'Yes'" (Muslim).
7. Washing a dead person. Ibn 'Umar and Ibn Abbas used to order the one who had washed a dead person to make Wudu. Abu Hurairah said: 'The least after that is performing Wudu'.
8. Apostasy from Islam. Allah Says “…If you join others in worship with Allah, (then) surely (all) your deeds will be in vain, …” (Qur’an 39:65)[i]
Does normal vaginal discharge invalidate wudu?
“About vaginal discharge by Sheikh Yusuf al-Qasim: 'What comes from the vagina, emanating from the birth canal, is pure. It requires neither a ritual bath, nor wudu, nor the washing of affected clothing. The reason for this is the absence of any textual evidence – to the extent of my knowledge – that indicates the impurity of this discharge or that it invalidates a woman's wudu. This is very pertinent, especially since this discharge is something that affects all women, from the time of the Prophet (peace be upon him) up to today. If it had been impure or if it had nullified wudu, this would have been clarified by the Lawgiver. Also, this discharge is not a waste product – like urine and feces which are the waste products of our food and drink. It is a natural emanation from the womb. This is why it increases with pregnancy, especially during certain months. This ruling is the final opinion that Sheikh al-`Uthaymeen settled upon at the end of his life. It was also the view of Ibn Hazm. And Allah knows best.'
About vaginal discharge by Sheikh Ahmad al-Khalil: 'The moisture which comes out from women's vagina is a matter of disagreement among scholars. The most correct rule, in my opinion, is that it is pure and does not invalidate wudu.'” (Answered by the Fatwa Department Research Committee – chaired by Sheikh `Abd al-Wahhab al-Turayri)[ii]
How & When To Do Ghusl (Ritual Bath/Shower)
Take this lesson HERE to learn when it is required to perform ghusl, and how to do it, as well as other important information related to it.
Learn How to Pray Here